Guest Post by Amanda Kidd.
Fertility has always been a matter of concern for one and many. To those who shun away from discussing their problems, a word of advice – fertility problems should not be considered a disease. To aid in fertility, people usually resort to medical methods and techniques. What could be better if you can get all your remedies in the food that you eat?
Here is a description of some food products that can improve fertility in males and females.
Top 5 Super Foods to Improve Male Fertility
1. Pumpkin Seeds: Eating one-fourth to half cup of pumpkin seeds a day is a great remedy for the reproductive system. Pumpkin seeds brim with zinc and essential fatty acids, which aid in male fertility.
2. Oily Fish: Rich in omega-3 and omega-6, the oil of shellfish, salmon, mackerel, and sardines has an excellent effect on sperm count. These oils not only enhance the quality of sperm and regulate reproductive health but also help in improving blood flow.
3. Oysters: Known for being natural aphrodisiac, oysters also boost fertility with their high zinc content. Apart from these, other zinc rich products like baked beans, eggs, and nuts should also be added as supplement in your diet everyday.
4. Honey: Rich in minerals and amino acids, honey is well-known fertility booster and also extremely beneficial to the reproductive system.
5. Avocado: A great source of vitamin E, avocados are very essential for fertility. Moreover, being a powerful antioxidant, it also improves the viability of sperm. A great source of unsaturated fats, these are essential for healthy hormone functioning. If you cannot include them in your daily diet, other alternatives to avocado would be olive, grape seed and walnut oil.
Top 5 Super Foods to Improve Female Fertility
1. Whole Grains: If you are on your road to conception, make sure you include whole grains in your diet. They can include anything like pancakes, breads, cornmeal, oatmeal, and even brown rice. These complex carbohydrates aid in pregnancy by helping maintain your blood sugar and insulin levels. In addition, anything that improves insulin function is good for fertility.
2. Protein: High protein diet aids in fertility as proteins are a rich source of amino acids, which are the building blocks for muscles and reproductive eggs. Try taking more of plant proteins like beans, peas and peanuts and keep red meat and poultry in moderation. Keep the fish intake in check as mercury, which most fish contain, is a big pregnancy buster.
3. Full-fat dairy products: It may be hard to believe, but a study at Harvard showed that full fat yogurt, whole milk and even ice creams are fertility foods as they help in ovulation. Moreover, dairy contains calcium, which is an important nutrient for fertility. Therefore, you can now enjoy all your smoothies, and have that extra cheese bite. However, just be careful not to overdo it to keep the extra pounds at bay.
4. Yams and berries: Research shows that yams contain an ovulation stimulating substance and are rich in the fertility-friendly vitamins. Evidence shows that while eating yam, population have a higher rate of twins. Berries (raspberries and blueberries) loaded with antioxidants protect the body from cell damaging and ageing which also include your egg cells. You can also try other members of this family like strawberries and blackberries that work well too.
5. Herbs: For centuries, herbs have aided in fertility by acting as a natural fertility medication. A medical consultancy is advised before taking them, as herbs can be highly potent.
- Chasteberry: This herb increases fertility by stimulating the pituitary gland, which is the control center for producing all sex hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Moreover, chasteberry also helps by balancing sex hormones.
- Dong Quai: This Chinese herb is very useful in menstrual problems. It also balances estrogen levels in the body and improves chances of implantation.
Apart from the foods mentioned above, a healthy diet and regular exercise is necessary for fertility. In addition, intercourse in positions that deposit the semen closest to your cervix are also effective for fertilization. Moreover, being properly hydrated and having enough water is necessary not just for conception but also for a healthy lifestyle. Include fresh fruits like orange and citrus fruits that are high in antioxidants. Green leafy vegetables high in folate also prevent birth defects.
Next time you can combine these foods with your daily diet to have their fertility boosting impact. Instead of a plain sushi roll, order the one with avocado. Have almonds in your breakfast. Switch to brown rice at a Chinese joint. Add full-fat yogurt to black beans. These small changes will not only be fabulously tasty, but fertility boosting as well.
Special Thanks to My Guest Blogger:
Amanda Kidd is an avid writer and blogger. Amongst all, Health and excites her most. Being a health buff herself and nutrition are among her favorite topics to write on.