Who doesn’t want to have a flat stomach? Let’s face it – we all want to have flat abs, or just a leaner belly. Whether we’re single women, or a postpartum mom struggling to lose that pregnancy weight, we all want to look like supermodels and we’re envious of Miranda Kerr and how quickly she bounced back from pregnancy (or at least, I am).
Believe it or not, but you can actually eat your way to a flatter stomach? How? It’s all in the foods that you eat. Incorporate the following fat burning foods into your every day diet, and you may be surprised that you start to feel leaner, more fit. (Exercise is also beneficial, so don’t forget to workout when you can.)
1. Bananas – Who doesn’t love bananas? Not only do bananas fill you up, but they only contain about 105 calories. They’re also full of potassium, which helps your body get rid of all that extra sodium in your diet. Bananas are also good sources of vitamin B6, vitamin C, dietary fiber, and manganese.
2. Almonds – These delicious nuts are filling and contain plenty of fiber, protein, and vitamin E (an antioxidant). Almonds are also great sources of magnesium, which is a mineral your body needs to produce energy and regular blood sugar. What’s really neat about almonds is their ability to block calories.
3. Eggs – A perfect protein source, eggs contain a health balance of essential amino acids, protein, and fat. People who eat eggs in the morning typically feel less hungry throughout the day. Studies have also shown that eating eggs in the morning can help you maintain a healthy weight, which in turn means a flatter stomach. When you start the day off right, you won’t be starving by lunchtime!
4. Apples and Pears – Fruit is good for you, and it will help you eat your way to a flatter stomach. Studies have shown that overweight women who ate three apples or pears each day for three months lost more weight than others (who ate a similar diet but ate oat cookies rather than fruit). A large apple contains mostly water, and five grams of fiber. Apples and pears hydrate you, and keep you feeling fuller.
5. Strawberries, Blueberries, and other Berries – Most berries are loaded with plenty of fiber. According to nutritionists, the more fiber that you consume, the fewer calories that you absorb from the rest of your diet. Fiber is also great for digestion, making you feel less bloated. Plus, berries are also high in antioxidants.
6. Leafy Green Vegetables – Spinach, broccoli, and other leafy green vegetables are low in calories, but quite filling. One cup of spinach only contains 40 calories; a cup of broccoli contains slightly more at 55 calories. Both of these veggies are filling and they meet 20 percent of your daily fiber requirement. Plus, they’re good sources of calcium.
7. Salmon and other Fatty Fish – Seafood and fatty fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids will help you get a flatter stomach. Omega-3 fatty acids (found in salmon, tuna, mackerel) helps promote fat burning since it makes your metabolism more efficient. Seafood might also slow down digestion and prevent food cravings.
Obviously, you won’t get flat abs unless you exercise, but eating the above foods can help you in your weight loss goals. They are filling and low in calories.